Pages

Who and What We Are

Xerography Debt is a review zine for zine readers by zine writers (and readers). It is a hybrid of review zine and personal zine (the ancestor to many blogs). The paper version has been around since 1999. This blog thing is are attempt to bridge the gap between Web 2.0 and Paper 1.0. Print is not dead, but it is becoming more pixelated.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

THE MUSTACHE THAT PLAYED ROLLER DERBY #1

review from Anne: THE MUSTACHE THAT PLAYED ROLLER DERBY #1


16 pages, 1/8 page (2.5 x 4  inches), $2.50 US, $? CAN/MAX, $? world, trades yes March 2014
Iliana

This zine is adorable. It's about a mustache that plays roller derby, who started out not knowing at all how to skate. Davida got a copy and immediately got in touch to tell me that I needed to read it -- I'm a derby ref heading into my 7th season! -- and it's so much fun to read! From the author: "This is a true story on how I became a junior roller derby girl. Everything is true except the fact about where I am a mustache. The little mustache had a long journey." I confess: I melted. The zine is super-cute even if you're not into derby; the author is a skater for a junior derby team (note: most junior derby has skater ranging in age from 6 or 7 until about 17) and the story is about a little mustache learning to skate and play roller derby, despite tricky things like tripping over it's curls while skating! Different copies are colored in (blue copy, red copy, etc.) and it's pretty cute. The author is 10 (I got a letter with my copy of the zine as well), and it's an awesome little zine by someone who's just starting out with zines. Recommended. (It's adorable!)

No comments: